Making Redemption Payments
Property owners can redeem (pay) taxes that have been sold by making a payment in person at the Clerk's downtown location or by mail.
No payment is accepted at suburban locations. Make payments to:
Cook County Clerk's Office
Real Estate & Tax Services Division
Cook County Building, Room 434
118 N. Clark St.
Chicago, IL 60602
To make a redemption payment:
- Payments must be made in full. Partial payments are not accepted and will not redeem delinquent taxes.
- The Clerk's office can only accept a certified or cashier's check, money order, or cash (Do not send cash in the mail).
- Be sure you make your payment to the Cook County Clerk's office and not the Assessor's or Treasurer's offices.
- To redeem the sold taxes, the Original Estimate of the Cost of Redemption must be presented, completed with the property owner name, mailing address and telephone number.
- For making payments:
- In person: Payments must be made by 5 p.m. on or before the last day to redeem.
- U.S. Mail: Payments must be post-marked the day before the last day to redeem.
- Delivery: Payments must be received in the County Clerk's office no later than 5 p.m. on the last day to redeem if you are using a delivery service, such as FedEx or UPS.
Proof of payment
After making your redemption payment, you will receive a Certificate of Redemption in the mail approximately four weeks after your payment has been received. If you would like to order a Duplicate Certificate of Redemption, you may order a proof of payment
for your records.
Need more help?Go to Tax FAQs