What are the steps?
There are four basic steps for registering an assumed business name or amending an existing business name.
1. Complete the application.
- If applying online, you will enter information about your business and its owners, pay the $50 application fee online by credit card or e-check, then print your application to have it signed by the owners and notarized by a licensed Notary Public. Once signed and notarized, you will mail or deliver your application to the Clerk’s office.
- If applying in person or by mail, you will submit the signed and notarized application at the same time as you make your payment. The $50 application fee is payable in person by cash, check or money order; by mail please provide a check or money order payable to “Cook County Clerk.”
2. Publish the legal notice
- If applying online, the Copy of Legal Notice will be available to print from the online portal after the Clerk’s office receives your signed and notarized application. Complete instructions for publishing will be included. Your business must publish the notice in a local newspaper within 15 calendar days from the registration date. Publish the notice once a week for three consecutive weeks.
- If applying in person or by mail, you will receive a Copy of the Legal Notice with your registration number after you submit your signed and notarized application and pay the fee. Your business must publish the notice in a local newspaper within 15 calendar days from the registration date. Publish the notice once a week for three consecutive weeks.
3. Provide proof of publication
- Proof of publication must be submitted to the Clerk’s office no later than 50 days from the original date of application. The newspaper will provide you with a notarized Certificate of Publication with an original clipping of the published legal notice (a photocopy is insufficient). Return both the certificate and clipping to the Clerk’s office.
4. Assumed Business Name Certificate will be issued
- The Clerk’s office will issue you an Assumed Business Name Certificate and record the business name upon receipt of the proof of publication. Same-day in-person service for certificates is available at the Clerk’s downtown Chicago location.