David Orr, Cook County Clerk
Vital Records
Elections - Suburban Cook County
Real Estate and Tax Services
Ethics Filings
County Board Proceedings
News Room

Acceptable forms of Identification

To obtain certain vital records (see special requirements for marriage and civil union licenses below), you are required to submit one or more copies of ID. All forms must be current and valid. There are special ID requirements for marriage and civil union licenses.

One form of ID is required if submitting one of the following IDs:
  • Current driver’s license or state identification card (issued within the United States)
  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Naturalization Certificate
  • U.S.  Military Identification Card
  • U.S. Selective Service Card
  • U.S. Immigration Card (resident alien)
  • Consulate Identification Card (matricular/tarjeta)
  • Foreign Passport (with current U.S.A. issued visa)

- OR -

Any combination of two of these forms of ID are required:
  • Social Security Card or Printout
  • Voter’s Registration Card (90 days old)
  • W-2 Form (current year)
  • Bank statement (within 90 days)
  • Utility Bill (within 60 days)
  • Vehicle Registration Card
  • Active Life Insurance Policy (at least one year old)
  • Checkbook or Savings Book (with name & address)
  • Work Identification Card
  • Traffic Ticket (prior to court hearing)
  • School Identification card (with photo)
  • V.A. Medical Card
  • Public Aid Medical Card

Special ID requirements for marriage and
civil union licenses

One form of ID if submitting one of the following:
  • State drivers license
  • State identification
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. Armed Forces identification card

- OR -

Any combination of two of these forms of ID:
  • Certified copy of Birth Certificate (English translations required for foreign certificates must be notarized) 
  • U.S. naturalization certificate
  • U.S. resident alien card
  • Life insurance policy (at least 1 year old)
  • Foreign passport
  • Baptismal record (date of birth must appear)
  • Consulate identification card (matricula)

Marriage applicants 16- and 17-years old may obtain
a marriage license with:

  • Consent of parents listed on applicants' birth certificates. All parents listed on each minor's birth certificate must be present and show valid identification.
  • Certified copies of applicants' birth certificates
  • A second form of identification showing applicants' dates of birth
Wallet Certificates